Things I learned last week
Time seems to be flying by these days. I cannot fathom that we are already 1/4 of the way through 2012, so I thought I would reflect on some things that popped into my head last week.
- I am so very grateful for my family - they are what keeps me grounded and focused on what life really means. I’m totally pumped about an upcoming and long overdue vacation with my wife.
- Friends are so crucial to health and well being - it’s important to stay in touch - one of my oldest friends (not in age) called to say he was getting married (for the second time) to a wonderful lady. He’s a great guy and desires this kind of happiness.
- I am truly thrilled when someone I’ve had the pleasure of teaching takes the initiative to share the knowledge. Matt from my second level Prud’homme class conducted a 2 hour beer education program for his George Brown classmates.
- I love the interest in the beer category these days - everyone seems to be talking about it (mostly in a good way) and some companies are actually taking the higher road toward beer enlightenment by engaging knowledge as their competitive advantage
Some not so great things I have seen and heard….
- I was at the cottage life show on the weekend and stopped to listen to someone giving a talk on beer and food pairing. I may have stayed for a few minutes but I soon realized that people really shouldn’t talk when they know little about the subject. Just a small issue but I don’t see the theory behind pairing food that is lighter in nature with a porter or stout as was suggested.
- the title beer sommelier is being largely overused these days and there’s a very small part of me that cringes when expertise is self proclaimed.